My name is Nancy Stordahl. I am an educator, author, blogger and free-lance writer. To learn about specific projects, scroll on down.
In 2008 my mother died from metastatic breast cancer and in April 2010 I was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer myself. I also learned I am brca2+. My life has been forever altered by this disease. For me there is no going back.
Through blogging I share my personal breast cancer story. I attempt to reach out to others who also find themselves on this path. My intent has always been to share candidly about all of it.
If you browse around a bit, you will find posts on my diagnosis, chemotherapy, side effects of treatment, reconstruction process, the emotional upheaval a cancer diagnosis brings, BRCA issues, moving forward and yes, my opinions on various cancer related topics. I am not content with the state of affairs in breast cancer-land.
Being a #fearlessfriend and a #fearlessadvocate for my sisters and brothers living with metastatic disease has become a primary focus for me. I will never stop advocating for them. Check out my mets page. We will not forget.
I also continue to share about the life-long impact of loss.
I chose the name Nancy’s Point (thanks for the great idea David) because obviously this blog will express my point of view and also because I live on a “point” of a little lake in Wisconsin with my husband David, a golden retriever named Elsie, an English springer spaniel named Sophie and a little black and white kitty named Ninja. I also have three amazing grown children – a daughter and two sons, plus a new son-in-law!
Besides breast cancer and loss, my blog will also touch upon other passions in my life such as family, pets, teaching and writing.
I hope you find Nancy’s Point to be an informative, helpful, entertaining and interactive resource. I encourage comments, opinions and questions.
Feel free to contact me and let me know what you think or want to read more about!
A few things I’ve been involved with since beginning my blog:
- Guest panelist at the Living Beyond Breast Cancer 2014 Fall Conference in Philadelphia, PA
- Publishing and promoting my book, Getting Past the Fear: A Guide to Help You Mentally Prepare for Chemotherapy, now featured on Breastcancer.org
- Partnering with Cure Diva as an ongoing content contributor
- Featured contributor in Gai Coman’s Ebook series, Breast Cancer Survivor Secrets, Part 1 and Part 2.
- Ongoing contributing blogger for Huffington Post
- Participated in radio discussion via NPR affiliate radio call-in-talk show, “HearSay with Cathy Lewis,” on the subject of provocative breast cancer awareness campaigns/ads
- Working on my memoir, Cancer in the Family, Is It My Turn Already?
- Interviewed by Colleen Henry, Milwaukee ABC TV affiliate WISN 12 News reporter, about my article, “Ten Reasons the Pink Ribbon Has Lost Its Appeal”
- Have had articles published in Animal Wellness, Grief Digest and Coping with Cancer magazines